Monday, February 20, 2012

Childhood Question Answered!

This is going to be a quick post.

When I was kid my parents would tell me that God created everything, and I would ask them "well then who created God?" I have never been satisfied with any answer given, until today.

This is a cool picture I found online when I was researching cosmology!
I have no idea what it means.

I'm reading "Cosmological Argument" by William Lane Craig where he argues that God exists. In the beginning of the article Craig  used a syllogism to explain his reasoning

Whatever begins to exist has a cause.
The universe began to exist.
Therefore, the universe has a cause.

  At the end of the article he rebuts some objections to his claim, one of them happened to be "But if the universe must have a cause, then what is God's cause?" As soon as I read this, I was reminded of my childhood questioning of the existence of God, and where He came from. And Craig finally answered my question!
" The first premise does not state Whatever exists has a cause, but rather Whatever begins to exist has a cause."

God never began to exist...so He doesn't require a cause, because He never came into being. God is not restricted to time and space like we are, so it is difficult for us to comprehend something like that. I get headaches when I wrestle the very thought of something...SOMEONE existing outside of time and space. I'm not comfortable with something I can't fully understand...which is where "faith" comes to into play.

I plan on continuing to post about things I learn/get out of my readings.

2 comments:

  1. You're dabbling in some great stuff here, and it can only get better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you were still updating here! Keep it up. I miss you.

    S

    ReplyDelete